Friday, February 12, 2016

Message from the President

As many of you know by now, Adam Wright has resigned as president of the Rogue Flyfishers.  It is my understanding that he had employment situation that required him to move out of the state.   As a result, there was an opening on the Board and a need for a new president.  When I was first approached by some members of the Board to consider taking the position, while flattered, my initial reaction was “no”, I’ve done that already”.  But then, as I thought about it more, I realized how much fun I had the first time around and how much enjoyment and pleasure I have derived from being a member of the Rogue Flyfishers over the past 39 years, then I reconsidered.

Thus, I am your newest president.  And, I am excited and eager to get on with the work.  I attended my first Board meeting in over 10 years last week and I must say I was impressed with the condition of our club.  We have an excellent group of people on the Board, both former and new members.  These members will be introduced at the next general meeting on Wednesday, the 17th.  I felt the Board has a tremendous amount of expertise, enthusiasm, interest and energy and I am looking forward to getting to know and work with them. 

I was very pleased to see the club is in excellent financial condition.  Having enough money to operate the club on a month to month basis without worry is critical to its survival and we certainly have that at this point.  Likewise, it is critical to have enough money to participate in and donate to the organizations and causes that relate to the club’s mission.  There is never an end to the good we can do with the money we raise and that is why we are constantly looking for ways to gain it and put it to use.  To that end, the resumption of the annual dinner and auction is a positive step.  With Mike Masters as chairman, the committee is off to an excellent start and the auction this year should be outstanding.  Mike will have more information and details about the event at the next meeting and will define ways for each member to contribute to its success.

In my opinion, there are so many good things to look forward to during the coming year.  Dave Haight has put together an excellent schedule of outings.  Will Johnson continues to provide the monthly meeting with excellent presenters. The list goes on with opportunities to improve your fly casting skills, to learn or improve your fly tying skills, to help on various habitat projects as they arise, to work with youth and to just generally learn more about when, where and how to fly fish.

On a more personal note, I believe that each member of our club is important and I value all questions, comments and concerns relating to the club.  Please don’t hesitate to contact me or any member of the Board if you have any.

I look forward to seeing you at the next meeting.           Jack Patterson


No comments:

Post a Comment