Sunday, February 19, 2017

A Letter to the State Marine Board

A local Rogue River Stakeholder has written a letter to the Marine Board.  This person has shared it with us and urges other river users to also write letters about the reality of increasing jet boat traffic.  This persons identity has been protected.

June LeTarte
Rules Coordinator
435 Commercial St NE
Salem, OR 97301


Dear Ms. LeTarte:

I am writing in regards to Proposed Rule 250-020-0151, Boat Operation in Jackson County.  I strongly support the petition submitted by local people to adopt a new rule to establish a special boat restriction zone for the Upper Rogue River-Boat Operations in Jackson County.  I am a retiree, living in the Rogue Valley, expressly for the purpose of fly fishing opportunities on the Rogue River.  I fish the river frequently and have observed the increased motorized and jet propelled traffic on the river.  I am mostly a “wading fly fisher” and find it more and more challenging to withstand the substantial wakes created by, in particular, speeding jet boats.  I’m not only concerned about my safety on the river, but also about the habitat being destroyed by these wakes and the “twirling” observed by the jet boats over Salmon and Steelhead Redds.

When I do use a boat, I use either a raft or a drift boat because of the minimal invasiveness on the habitat by both of these types of transportation.  I am very concerned that future generations have the opportunities that I enjoy, communing with nature.  I fear that continued allowance of jet boats, in particular, on the upper Rogue River will not only lead to a disastrous accident, but also to the loss of a beautiful, productive fishery that future generations will never have the opportunity to experience.  The River is already in need of substantial riparian improvements, due to the lack of action by State authorities to regulate the use of this beautiful stretch of water.

As noted above, I strongly support the petition submitted by the Rogue Fly Fishers and Riverfront owners to not only curtail, but eliminate the use of jet propelled boat traffic on the Upper Rogue River.  I would appreciate being informed of public hearings you might schedule in regard to this matter, and any additional information that you might generate in regards to making your decision.  If you have any questions of me, you can reach me at the email or telephone number noted, below.  

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

No comments:

Post a Comment